An unattended candle is said to be the cause of a fire in a duplex Monday evening.
All occupants escaped safely without injury from the house at 604 East 9th Street in Auburn. The Auburn Fire Department was called at 6:34 p.m. with a report of smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived at 6:38 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the front door of the house and once they entered, responders discovered a fire in the living room and quickly extinguished it.
Fire had extended into the ceiling and a portion of the roof. Firefighters declared the fire to be under control at 6:52 p.m., and then returned to their stations at 8:38 p.m.
The Garrett Fire Department, Parkview DeKalb EMS, and Auburn Police assisted at the scene. The Butler Fire Department stood watch at Auburn Fire Station 1.
(08-07-2020) Auburn Police Pursuit Thursday
(08-07-2020) Cruise to the Monument Canceled for September
(08-06-2020) Auburn Police make Drug Bust
(08-06-2020) Monument Soldiers Will Disappear for Repair
(08-06-2020) Another Auburn Event Postponed and Altered
(08-06-2020) Bryan Ohio Man Injured in Crash
(08-06-2020) Golf Outing Raises Nearly $82,000
(08-05-2020) Greuter Joins Angola Fire Department
(08-05-2020) Steuben County Highway Department Begins Work on 500 South
(08-05-2020) No New COVID-19 Cases in Steuben County
(08-04-2020) Indiana Governor Announces Plan for More School Bus Safety
(08-04-2020) Plane Crashes in Northwest Ohio
(08-04-2020) Dekalb County Man Busted for Meth
(08-03-2020) One Person Injured in Weekend Golf Cart Crash
(08-03-2020) Angola Momument Maintenance Scheduled for Friday
(08-03-2020) SpaceX Makes Safe Return to Earth
(07-31-2020) Trine Faculty Focus Offers Tips as School Begins
(07-31-2020) Thursday Night Motorcycle Accident